Tuesday, August 30, 2016

While It Is Still Early

We are still in the earliest of days of this chapter of our lives. While we call it "retirement," it feels active and busy and hoping that along with that will come productivity. One of the decisions I will make is where to post things that I care about and write about. Until then, a thing or two will land here. Some will land both on Facebook and Let Justice Ring.

One of the changes is in our schedules. I am an early morning person, so reading, writing, pondering, and drinking coffee, and being with Buddy are my self-assigned tasks until we both shake off the slumber and dreams with a walk through the neighborhood with Buddy the Boxer. He is always eager to go.

So, this morning is a curious interface of Psalm 25, Proverbs 25, a reading from Thomas Merton, a prayer from Lemuel Adams, and a snippet from James Cone. I want my integrity to be pure despite what I observe in others. Since there is a day of judgement coming, per Adams, a black preacher for white churches who lived 1753-1853, "A few turns more upon the stage and we are gone." The power of terrorists with random decisions and unpredictable standards and the absence of process, written in the mid-60s, strikes a chord of curiosity within me about today's world both globally and here at home. Then, James Cone's notions that he and white theologians read and write from "different social locations and thus with different hermeneutical interests," and that shapes what we see and how we see what we see, strikes another chord.

Not sure how all of these merge, and perhaps they should not and were not meant to merge, but they prompt some jaggedness within me, at least for the day. With a penitent heart, I would like for God to coach me on moving from my world of "separateness" into a world toward those that I deem with their "otherness," and thereby understand my separateness and my otherness from their perspectives. Maybe we can move from the I versus the You to the We of human existence. Perhaps there can be some grace and mercy in that for others, but also for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment