Thursday, September 29, 2016

Dear God, I am But a White Man

September 29, 2016
 
Dear God:

I am but a white man, and you made me so.
I am but a white man, and I read stories of black men, and women, and children.
I am but a white man, and I am drawn to stories of today and yesterday and the day before.
I am but a white man, and a white man I have always been.

I am but a white man, and I know the stories of Europe to America.
I am but a white man, and my people revel in stories of victory at Valley Forge and Appomattox.
I am but a white man, and conquering the uncivilized is in my DNA.
I am but a white man, and a white man I have always been.

I am but a white man, and I have black brothers, and sisters, and fathers, and mothers.
I am but a white man, and they have inundated me with stories I never knew.
I am but a white man, and their stories have become mine.
I am but a white man, and a white man I have always been.

I am but a white man, and my black and brown brothers and sisters are in agony.
I am but a white man, and my black nephews and nieces are afraid.
I am but a white man, and my soul is torn by the stories, images, and funerals.
I am but a white man, and a white man I have always been.

I am but a white man, and we live or we die together.
I am but a white man, and I wonder if today will be like yesterday.
I am but a white man, and I wonder if today will be like a tomorrow we have yet to know.
I am but a white man, and a white man I will always be.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment