Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Anxiety, I Know Your Name and Your Game


Is that you anxiety
I think I know your name
The feelings you bring
I recognize your game.

You come attached
To the news of this world
To times and places
Ugly flags fly unfurled.

You leave us unsettled
We want things to be serene
You leave us in a mess
Or is peace too much of a dream.

Explosions left
Explosions right
Coming during the day
And in the dark of night.

Shootings on the left
Shootings on the right
Kids are out protesting
Offended by our slight.

The news cycle is full
Of all manner of things
That raise our angst
And make us dream.

We feel our humanness
Down clear to our core
Sometimes we wonder
Will we face what we abhor.

We have no trust
Of the man in that position
He stirs us up
We are his opposition.

He tells us lies
Day in and out
Our friends believe him
Sanity is in the middle of a drought.

We choose up sides
We blame and shame
But peace is what we long for
Our human game the same.

Looking for who to trust
Safe places an absolute must
Living anxiety free
In that place we long to be.

And from the storms that rage
I want to find a sweet reprieve
From the things that tear at my soul
Just breathe, I just want to breathe.

What gets us to that place
Is what I oftentimes wonder
It’s because of what we value
That is what I ponder.

Give us rest, O Lord,
From the stress of these insane days
Help us to breathe and march
And reside within your gaze.


2 comments:

  1. Waymon,
    Thi poem affects me in a similar way as Bob Dylan's "With God on Our Side". Both poignantly capturing the mood of me personally, but also the mood of our country. Thank you for penning your wisdom with your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to drive by and read. I find encouragement in your words to keep putting onto paper those things in my soul.

      Delete