Friday, August 10, 2018

Dear Lord Friday It Is


Dear Lord:

Friday it is
And I’m feeling tired
Been a long week
And in this life I’m mired.

Got my wife,
Got my dog
Got my home
Livin’ high on the hog.

Love my kids
My own
My grands
Lovin’ some of those seeds we’ve sown.

My body’s feelin’ good
Most of my days
Some days though
I walk through a haze.

This world is not my home
A lot of folks sing
I kind of like it here
But let freedom ring.

Some of us are free
Some of us are not
Some live on a shoestring
‘bout all they got.

Folks like me
With skin that’s white
Feel more power
And that’s not right.

Jesus taught us
To love one another
That woman over there
Is someone’s mother.

Judge not
Based on the color of the skin
Let’s get it right
And do this again.

In the eyes of God
The One who made us all
All are worthy
And no one’s small.

Treat people with respect
Is that so hard to do
Gotta get it right
Before we’re through.

There’s hope I feel
When I see the young
Caring for each other
Like a new day sprung.

Jim Crow’s gone
It got voted out
Still in those hearts
Makes us want to shout.

The young of the land
Seem to get it right
Respect and equality
They’re livin’ in the light.

Thanks very much
For showing us the way
For those of us who are older
Can see a brand new day.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment