Monday, March 4, 2019

Original Sin Wonderings


Monday it is
Monday it’ll be
Till Tuesday is here
And then we’ll see.

Tuesday will roll around
For those hours and minutes
We’ll live and breathe
Knowing that life has its limits.

I like ritual
I like rhyme
Does that make me strange
Most all of the time?

I like predictability
I yearn for sameness
But when I get bored
I feel my inner lameness.

How does God make us
All of us interesting people
We live and we yearn
Both citizens and illegals.

Black folk
Light skinned and dark
White people
Carrying the mark.

The mark of what
Is something to ask
The ownership of all
In our own truth we bask.

Nobody died
To make us king of it all
Just trying to get it right
This side of the fall.

Amen
Let’s begin
Lay aside that sin
Just wondering when.

Redemption is the story
And there we find the glory
Repent of our collective sins
Yes, those that are pretty gory.

American’s original sin
A phrase too riveting to grasp
Stolen lives and stolen land
Wrong enough to make our souls gasp.

Stolen dreams
Stolen schemes
Ripped away family and kin
Yes, our original sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment