Saturday, April 20, 2019

Faith and Politics, Prayer and Action


It’s Saturday of Easter weekend. Surely a heaviness was upon the people in and around Jerusalem. They did not grasp the notion that Sunday was coming.  What they knew most likely was that their friend was dead and a cruel, agonizing death it was.  Perhaps they had watched all of the comings and goings that Thursday night and Friday. Did they feel the earth shake? What did they experience with the earthquake and darkness upon the land? No, Sunday was not yet come, Resurrection Sunday was not yet an event to be celebrated. They were still in their darkness.

As I read Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove’s material, “Practicing Fusion Politics,” this morning, it occurs to me that Grandma Ann’s story was taking place at a time of great darkness. In her own words she described how the white man was the ruler of everything, and how he could throw down his load and the black man was to pick it up and then he’d give it to the womenfolk because “de nigger woman is de mule uh de world so fur as Ah can see.”

Separate but equal was the system of Jim Crow that I was born and raised under. Separate, yes, and separated, yes, and unequal certainly. To my shame, I did not know much at all about Westside High School and the Thoroughbreds for years.  I did, however, on a Saturday night of the county fair watch a football game and marvel at the speed of the athletes, the great band, and the cheers from the stands.

I am also reminded of my first place of employment and the ways in which whites were treated versus blacks.  My boss, a white guy, owned a convenience store on the outskirts of Trinity. I walked down the tracks a couple of miles to get to work for a grand total of 90 cents an hour. I was only ten, so how could I make a fuss. My boss fussed over white people buying from him, inside the store and at the gas pump. He did not do the same for black people, which even then I thought was wrong. Black work crews would drop by the store in the early morning hours, buy gas, ice, crackers, soft drinks, vienna sausage, bologna, and whatever else to make it through the long work day. The costs were all put on their tab through out the week. On Fridays or Saturdays, they’d pay up. That little convenience store also gave S & H Green Stamps as incentives.  Remember those days?

On one settle up day with one particular black gentleman, standing there in his sweat-stained work clothes, the boss man was cashing his check and subtracting the total from his pay.  Since everyone else was offered S & H Green Stamps, I did the same to him, “Do you want your greens stamps?” I asked.  He looked at me but did not answer.  Boss man looked at me and signaled for me to shut up.  The black worker in the sweat stained work clothes paid his bill, he was thanked by boss man, and he walked out.  I do not recall any more conversation between me and boss man about that, but I got the message.  I got the message clearly, very, very clearly.

And by the way, I recall as well when a white woman had her tank filled with gasoline, Boss Man gave her the green stamps with a bit of a dramatic flourish. I got it.

Boss man and his wife were church going folks.  I was a church going kid.  The others who worked there were church going folks. 

Church going and politics of the day did not connect, not in the power structure of that small town, nor in the politics of how people were treated coming to and fro.

I’ve studied the Reconstruction, and even wrote some things about it.  I read one particular book all the way through that chronicled how the folks of Colfax, Louisiana, the state of Louisiana, and the Supreme Court let down people of color and advantaged the white folks across America.

Even in this day following the break up of Jim Crow with the passing of the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments to the US Constitution did not change matters in people’s hearts.  It took years and years and other actions, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Voting Act of 1965, and the Fair Housing Act of 1968 and still we wrestle with ourselves. 

For folks I know personally, the administrative settlements with the USDA and DOJ, Pigford I, and Pigford II did not level the playing field in the political world of farming.

Yes, systemic racism is a deal. White supremacy demands it. Check out this video:  www.youtube.com/watach?v=SgH2aehFA&feature=youtu.be for more information.

The text in Luke 18:1-5 speaks to me. Jesus uses the story of a widow and a judge. She wanted something from him, and eventually she got what she wanted, “justice against my adversary,” despite his lack of faith in God.

So, I am left wondering, why does the faith community, including the church that is near and dear to my heart, not address racial and political issues? Why did Ann Atwater believe that faith demands action, yet we do not?

 I think we’ve settled.  We have simply settled in our world of whiteness, that it is pretty good, and that this is as good as it gets, and we have no big problems.

There are pockets of wealth in my community.  There are pockets of poverty in my community.  Some at my church are attending meetings that will address homelessness.  My church has a ministry in partnership with other churches in the area that addresses the unemployment issue of homeless and unemployed families.

People of faith are elected to political positions. I will vote for one guy in the next election.  I mentioned him last blogpost. I will continue to be in touch with him and politic for him because I think he has his finger on the pulse of the community, one in particular, in which people of color are losing their houses and lots at a surprisingly fast pace, and bigger houses are springing up in that black neighborhood.

I really, really like the “parable of the persistent widow.” She knew how to advocate for herself as she went again and again and again until she got what she wanted. Jesus, then, uses that story to say, “That’s how you ought to pray and not give up.” 

May our advocacy in our communities be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment