Sunday, August 4, 2019

America the Wounded


Oh, beautiful for spacious skies
Except for the ones filled with our childrens’ cries.
This land is your land, this land is my land
One of the 2nd amendment, lots of guns, and parents' mournful sighs. 

My country ‘tis of thee
With our AK-47s and many rounds 
Let music swell the breeze
Let mothers grieve their dead children, hear those anguished sounds. 

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
And the Supreme Court rules that the right to bear arms is an individual right
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea
And somewhere along the line the NRA has become our nation's blight. 

God Bless America, land that I love
Make weapons of mass destruction easy to obtain
Hurrah for the flag of the free
And fill our airwaves with vitriol and white nationalism, our saddest refrain.

I pledge thee my allegiance, America, the bold
More guns, more violence, more mass shootings, so many lives wasted
Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton
Where the seeds of racism were planted, watered, and harvested.

I’m proud to be an American
Where I can own as many guns and ammunition as I desire
God bless America, My home sweet home
And when the dead are counted, never putting white supremacy on the funeral pyre. 

Give me your tired, your poor
Especially if you are white and educated and wealthy
My native country, thee, land of the noble free
And with the NRA owning our congress as far as I can see. 

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light
News of more mass killings in El Paso Dayton Uvalde Nashville make for fitful sleep
O beautiful for patriot dream
The caskets all in a row, we offer our thoughts and prayers, words pretty cheap.

4 comments:

  1. You aren’t the only one weeping today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there are many of us. May God have mercy on us all. And may we find our way out of this debacle that we are in.

      Delete
  2. Sad that our songs can be edited in this way and be more true than the original versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to read these words. Means a lot.

      Delete