Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Prayers and Anxieties: Who Answers

Prayers and Anxieties: Who Answers
Waymon Hinson
May 12, 2020

When do I pray
I hear you say
Have I given my cares to God today
Upon His shoulders will they weigh.

We make it simple when we say
“Give it up to God”
Until our times have ended
When we lay beneath the sod.

Some of us pray
At all manner of times throughout the day
As we pray without ceasing along the way
We supposedly pray we say.

“Cast” you tell me in a word
And I would if I knew how
They keep flying back like a bird
Not really sure if I could that thing vow.

She the farmer’s wife stood in the door
Stepping into Auntie’s house
A woman and her spouse both with unchecked stress
And he who limps across the floor.

Did they not pray
And look for a brighter day
And long into the night she stood
Waiting for cops to come in all likelihood.

Maybe my whole load of fears
Are lumped into those prayers
By the sweet, sweet Spirit
When I cannot find the words to speak my cares.

But, don’t patronize me with words
And thus deny my humanity
And I’ll walk beside you if you’ll listen
And we’ll build a faith though at times with profanity.

I don’t do well with platitudes
Things easy to say and do
They challenge my internal attitudes
Though they may just work for you.

I’ll lean for sure into some of that
My worries may just form my prayers
I won’t always have the words
When God and I stop and chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment