Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Hope for Perilous Times and the Holy Spirit

This morning, my Advent readings ventured into two spaces: the role of the Holy Spirit in the Civil Rights Movement and the apocalyptic language of Jesus in the gospels. As many who follow me here, know that Charla and I have been involved for years in the Black Farmer Movement. This "church" to which we belong is composed of God-fearing, God-loving women and men who believe that all of God's children should be treated fairly and equitably. They, in my opinion, and we, in my opinion, are prompted by the movement of the Holy One of Israel. Therein lies our hope for change which is stirred these days by The Black Farmer Justice Act of 2020.

On the other hand, out of the darkness of captivity, God's people developed an "apocalyptic language," which Jesus used in three of the gospel narratives. Looking deeply into the meaning behind this type of language lies the "death" so to speak of "optimism," as optimism is pitiful in the face of pandemics and deaths and destruction and all, this according to one theologian this morning. On the other hand, in the midst of the storms of life, we can engage hope, live in hope, live through hope, and have a hope that transcends and rides with us through life's challenges which can be overwhelming.
So, this morning, I engage the power of the Holy One of Israel, and I engage in hope. Therein lies the ability to live and be productive for another day. The Holy Spirit and hope. I love those two notions.

No comments:

Post a Comment