Friday, August 30, 2024

Friday Mornings Afterwards

I generally awaken on Friday mornings in a rather pensive mood after a blog radio radio program. Led by a legend in the Black Farmer Movement, Lawrence Lucas, and often accompanied by Michael Stovall, Rod Bradshaw, Marcel Reid, Corey Lea, or me, his questions are like those of a therapist when the questions quicken the spirit and probe the depths of one's character. These fourth Thursdays of the month have become one of my favorite times of the month. 

Last night we discussed our latest letter to Biden/Harris with its hopes and explanations; the letter I wrote to VP candidate JD Vance; and how the USDA disseminated $2.2B for those discriminated against. All of these materials and more are here on my blog. I hope you'll take some time and mosey by over there. 

This conversation was especially intense as we discussed malevolent means of stealing land from Black farmers, limits of what a Black farmer should own, ways and means the USDA has of getting money from Black farmers despite rules that prohibit such actions, the VP candidate's misguided comments about Black farmers recently, and whether or not one party is better than another for Black farmers. 

One thing that Lawrence and I frequently discuss is the list of those who have gone on to the ancestors. Both of us silently weep over the names, faces, and stories.  

In preparing both for the radio program as well as the summary document outlining the ups and downs and ins and outs of the USDA's attempt to compensate Black farmers and others for discrimination that had been perpetrated against them, I listened to this song. It is a version of "Blowin' in the Wind" by Pentatonix that I like. It appeals to me because there are numerous lines in this amazing song that speak directly to the heinous acts of malfeasance that have been perpetrated upon Black farmers in the face of what certainly looks like intentional efforts to steal land for Black farmers and to make them landless

Listen to this song and see if you agree with me about applications:






No comments:

Post a Comment