Thursday, January 12, 2017

Inauguration Day Blues

Inauguration day blues,
They done got me down
Dreams were heavy
Hate that alarm’s sound.

Crawled out of bed
I moved real slow
I hope the world keeps on agoin'
And then I’ll know.

This floor is cold
The air still bites
Gotta jack up the temperature
To make the room right.
 
Wonderin' if everyone
Feels this way
Inauguration day comin'
In the bed I want to stay.

The cold, cruel world
Hollers way too loud
Under the covers I hide
I am not too proud.

Get my lazy butt up
I say inside of me
The dawn's now breakin'
We’ll see what we can see.

This here house
Will warm up real soon
But those out there
Still howlin' at the moon.

Me in my comfort
To my entitlement I cling
People over yonder
Other songs do sing.

The sun is comin' up
It’ll be daylight pretty quick
I’d better have a reason
Or I’d better be sick.

There is work to do
To make the world a better place
Righteousness is at hand
Bless the world His savin' grace.

Who gets to spread the news
About our cause
Her, him, and me
Gives me a right hard pause.
 
There’s trouble in the land
It is plain to see
Some folks have the power
But not for them or me.

I’m actually one of those
The rich and the white
But others work just as hard
Just can’t overcome the plight.

So, I’ve gotten out of bed
I hope you’ll understand
Gotta make our way around
Just as much as I can.

A word here and there
Spoken into places of power
A look in the face
This is not our finest hour.

We do what we do
And we’ll do it again
We’ll speak a little louder
It’s just part of the plan.

Until that day comes
We’ll be gathered some day
Before the throne of God
Just wonderin’ what He’ll say.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment