Friday, April 7, 2017

Frail Body and A Little Hope

Got one body
            That I live inside
            And it’s still growing older
            But is feeling fine.

I feel my lungs
            Way down to my toes
            Wheeze when I breathe
            And I go real slow.

I feel my lungs
            Doing their thing
            Gotta breathe some more
            Though I cannot sing.

I feel my legs
            They are getting old
            One day I’ll walk
            Those streets of gold.

I look at my head
            Hair’s getting thin
            My big old ears
            Growin’ again and again.

I look at my face
            Those wrinkles here to stay
            Must have been laughing
            At the start of day.

I look at my mind
            Though it can’t be seen
            Some things are real important
            If you know what I mean.

This body ain’t made
            To last real long
            It’ll only last
            Till that very last song.

Then a new body I’ll have
            To replace this one
            What’ll it look like
            When it’s said and done.

Gonna keep on walkin’
            I’m not finished yet
            Gonna love family and friends
            Till the evening sun sets.

Gonna work for justice
            Just as long as I’m able
            Write, speak, and teach
            Tryin’ to level the table.

Then home we’ll go
            To the one we’ve never seen
            Where people’ll be sweet
            And they won’t be mean.

Amen!
Glory! Glory! 
Hallelujah!
Amen!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment