Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Lord, I've Got Some Doing to Do

Lord,
I’ve got some doing to do
A little bit of this and a little bit of that
Want just to do it and cause no spat
And I want my doing to be done toward you.

Lord,
            You are the witness who watches day and night
            Knowing when I’m asleep or when I’m doing right
            You see into the heart right past my explanations
            You cut through my red tape and see my machinations.

Lord,
            This world needs some doing
            And it needs that doing now
            The wicked keep on growing stronger
            Don’t think we can wait a whole lot longer.

Lord,
            Some people are just kicked to the curb
            Or ignored in the midst of the crowd
            Is it the wrong country of origin or the color of skin
            Or is it about my blindness that keeps me from making amends.

Lord,
            Who will die while I sit and pray
            Whose mama longs and yearns for a brighter day
            For someone to touch her daughter over there with a smile
            To say to that old guy, let’s just sit here for just a while.
           
Lord,
            People like me need hope
            We want to know there’s a plan
            That we are not left out here alone
            Device our schemes in the ever shifting sand.

Lord,
            People out there are dying
            I hear a lot of folks crying
            They are languishing in the dust
            They want to know what’s just.

Lord,
            Folks make a joke and poke fun here and there
That person’s torment and that human’s history
That kid’s speech and that woman’s hair
I’m on the inside and silence worsens the misery.

Lord,
            Me and my people are all rather small
            Some of us can just barely crawl
            Our faith is real and put into your hand
            Renew our hope, and beside you we’ll stand.

Lord,
            Our hope is in you
            And some still have these really big dreams
            Must they be deferred, too
            Midst those cries, those screams.

Lord,
            Save us from our prejudices
            Amaze us at how we can empathize
            Keep us from going over the precipice
            Show us what we can all realize.

Yes, Lord,
I’ve got some doing to do
A little bit of this and a little bit of that
Want just to do it and cause no spat
And I want my doing to be done toward you.
           
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment