Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Words Matter, Words Remembered


The words in italics below are lifted directly out of interviews with African American farmers. They still ring in my head. I hope they will do the same for you. 

 Words matter.

“We are going to sell you out.”

Words matter.

“Too big for their britches.”

Words matter.

 “Smart ass niggers.”

Words matter.

“Well, we’ve been flying these flags all these many years and we’re not taking them down.”

Words matter.

“I can’t let you have no more money and I’m gonna sell you out.”

Words matter.

“You know I was called to come by here and get this tractor.”

Words matter.

“You may as well go home. I’m not going to lend you any money.”

Words matter.

“Yes, there’s moneys in here, but there’s none in here for you all.”

Words matter.

“Go out to MJ’s house and look at the tractors that he got sittin’ in his yard because we’re gonna sell him out and you can get either one of them.”

Words matter.

“Either you participate with what I’m telling you that I’m gonna do or either I’m gonna put you outta bidness.”

Words matter.

“I’m gonna put your money in my pocket and I’m gonna put you outta bidness.”

Words matter.

“What you gonna do with that kind of money? You don’t need that kinda money. What you gonna do with it?”

Words matter.

“They kept talkin’ about they gonna sell me out, sell me out…..wanted to sell me out.”

Words matter.

“We can’t finance you anymore.”

Words matter.

“It’s instilled in my children right now. It’s in my children. It’s got my children. Yeah, I’m about to go into tears cause this is a sad situation. It’s got my children so that they don’t want to go into a business of their own because they seen the suffering that I have endured to provide for my family. See? They don’t have to go through that, see?”

1 comment:

  1. Breaks my heart! Words matter greatly! May our God comfort and heal the wounds from those hateful words and actions.

    ReplyDelete