Monday, July 13, 2020

Mr. Burger, Relentless, Informed, Working for Justice #3


In the Spring of 2007, my students at Abilene Christian University and its MFT program and I ventured over to East Texas. These students were part of Social Justice Team II. Mr. Burger, a white farmer, and I had arranged for these students to interview several African American farmers who had won their cases or who had lost their cases against the USDA in what is known as Pigford I.  The white farmer had been treated unjustly because he blew the whistle on the county committee. He lost most of his farming operation as a result.  My students and I arrived on Friday night, not knowing when Mr. Burger and Dora Anderson would arrive. Ms. Anderson had won her lawsuit in the automotive industry. It is chronicled in her book, "The Rosa Parks of the Disabled Movement: Plantation Politics." I had met her at the same land loss summit in 2006 where I met Mr. Burger.  

They arrived early Saturday morning just as we were soon to head to a local church to meet the farmers.  I had called and arranged the use of facilities. The preacher was accommodating. We waited a tad so we could all go together.  The students and I interviewed these farmers, wrote summary reports of the mistreatment of the farmers, and with signed consents they were released so that Mr. Burger could have access to them. He was to meet someone in the DOJ's officer there in Dallas, just north of where we met. 

The students' psychological evaluations and summaries of injustices done against these farmers were well done. They showed me that they got it, that some in America were treated differently because of the color of their skin. 

While much of that particular time escapes me, a thing that struck me was that he would drive many, many miles to advocate for the mistreated.  He had a plan.  The plan meant meeting my students and me. It meant taking our reports and giving them to the DOJ's office in Dallas. That he would drive that many miles to meet with a group of farmers and young advocates meant a lot to all of us.

After the morning full of meeting, greeting, and intense interviews, we adjourned for lunch at a local cafe where we could deconstruct the day and its activities. I do not recall the particulars of that meeting. The photos say that we were all there. We obviously ate good food. We talked about things that matter and the plans that would take place under his leadership. The imprints upon our hearts was being made in indelible, relational ink. 

On several other occasions, Burger and I would talk by telephone. We discussed mutual concerns and interests. He was always several steps ahead of me. His wealth of knowledge was far beyond my scope of things.  I had become involved in the movement in 1994, and as an academician, writer, researcher, my scope was limited.  Burger's scope was expansive, deep, and rich.

I still think of him fondly and with much respect. A white guy like me involved in a movement with Black farmers. The two of us, an unlikely pair. 

He may be dead and has met his maker, but his spirit lives on. 

I still miss him to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment