Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Prophets Come Wearing T-Shirts and Masks


Dear Lord:

I have a lot to learn. 
I have a lot to discern. 
I have many a thought to share. 
I have many a burden to bear.

So, please hear my yearnings. 
Please listen to my longings. 
Please consider my mental wanderings. 
Please find me under your wing pondering.

So, please if you will. 
Please comfort and my heart to still. 
Please guide me in the better way. 
Please lead me into the light of day.  

That I your face may see. 
That you may offer grace to me. 
That we may behold the lamb of God. 
While upon this land we trod.

Did the prophets receive pushback from their prophetic utterings? Is it true that shalom existed in the garden and that we messed it up? Is it true that we yearn for shalom and that it won’t be delivered until your face we see?

Is it true that prayer is a glance toward heaven? A yearning of the heart? A moment of joy in the midst of trials and tribulation?

Are there prophets upon this land? Do they come wearing masks and t-shirts that say, “Black Lives Matter,” “No Justice No Peace,” “Act Justly Love Mercy Walk Humbly?” Do they come chanting, marching, protesting? Are there people on the sides of the streets hurling curses upon them with ugly words and taunts of injury or ill will?

I think so.

Give me courage to speak the truth even when it is not well received. Give me wisdom and understanding to grasp how best to live and speak and love and hope and pray and wonder and wander and ponder and pray and pray and pray.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment