Thursday, January 11, 2018

Are There Tears in Heaven: Meditations of January 11, 2018

Were there tears that day
When Jesus said goodbye
To his faithful disciples
Did you see those grown folks cry?

They’d been together
For a few short years
When He wrapped it all up
Did they do so with human tears?

In some of His very last words
He prayed for Himself and the disciples
He prayed for all believers, too
Me and you, or so I read there in my Bible.

One line really catches me
As things sometimes do
He prayed for complete unity
To let the Father’s love shine through.

That was a long time ago
And today is still today
That prayer is still not answered
And I wonder, what do you say?

The Right has seized the story
At least that seems to be true
The only ones who are true believers
Where does that leave me and you?

Does the Right own the story
Or is it religion that they claim
Whatever you want to call
It causes a lot of pain.

Are there tears in heaven
I this morning do wonder
We have messed up the message
Just one blunder after blunder.

What He prayed for seems like fiction
If the conversations that I hear
We’re no less one in unity
Is what I’ve come to fear.

So, are there tears in Heaven
Does Jesus look on us and weep
Upon this mess we created
We despise His other sheep.

We have our left and our right
Everyone assigned a place
That sure seems misguided to me
Just looking for some sacred space.

Surely Jesus weeps
When political speak
We all do seek
Our own inside ideology we keep.

Does Jesus weep
When we speak our very own labels
We spew them left and right
Right there at our church’s tables.

Are there tears in heaven
When our rhetoric is so loud
If He really sheds a tear
Could we really stand that proud?

Are there tears in Heaven
To me it’s an important question
How we violate that prayer
Today is my one obsession.

Are there tears in heaven
Am I the one to cause
If so, I’ll think it over
With that question will come a long pause. 

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to know when to speak and when to stay silent. In many cases, these days, to speak what I know to be true causes disunity among many who also love God. But to stay silent makes me feel like a perpetrator. Torn. I want to be a joy to my Father.

    ReplyDelete