Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Fatherhood, Peoplehood, Farmerhood

Most of my friends out there know that Charla and I have been involved in the Black Farmer Movement since 1994. Yes, that is strange, is it not, to read those words. I have been told, and with much respect to the teller, "I did not know there was such a thing as a black farmer." And I have been told that "those things do not happen in America." "Yes, there are, and yes, they do, still." So, in the early morning hours of today I felt compelled to connect a few dots and in the connections came these words. There is more to the story and an announcement will soon be released about future efforts on this page.

Father.
Holy Father.
Father.
Righteous Father.

May I call you by those names?
I read them in your Book today
And listened as He prayed
Before He walked to the gallows of shame.

He finished his work
Nothing did He shirk
Came to get it done
From early morn till setting of the sun.

Honored you along the way
Completed is what I hear Him say
Left it all to them and us
And now look at what we’ve made, one big fuss.

A big, grand ideal
To gather us all together
To place upon a seal
That in weary times the storms we would weather.

In days way back yonder
A woman arose up for her kin
Into his throne room she would go
Wondering how it would end.

“How can I bear to see
The disaster fall upon my people”
They are soon to be destroyed
Unless you answer my cry, how feeble.

I hear her cry and I read her words
I wonder what is the application
For today is also horrific
So I make this morning’s supplication.

For those ruined by grievous policy
That was made for us the whites 
Bear them up and give them strength
To hold on to their land their rights.

Give them courage and strength
To fight the righteous cause
To know of your love and grace
To change inequities of the laws.

I know my skin is white
That is the way I’ll always be
But my people are those whose skin is shades of brown
Until your face I see.

To hear their stories
“My blood is on this land”
How could I do anything but along with them
To take a righteous stand.

Father.
Holy Father.
Father.
Righteous Father.

Hear my cry for my people.

No comments:

Post a Comment