Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Eulogy for George Floyd

I read it today
And I just had to say
Couldn’t let it go no way
But I had to stop and pray.

Called him that "George Floyd guy"
The man who had to die
At the hands of the cop under bended knee
That we might see and see and see and see

I can’t breathe
If you can’t breathe
And so we may seethe
Until our hearts we do unsheathe

And see
And know
Our hearts to show
We before God we offer our plea

The error of our way
It’s history left unsaid
Of this land we love
Those free and those dead.

Perfect love casts out fear
Perfect racism casts out love
I heard the man preach
Into our hearts I hope he did reach.

That George Floyd did not die in vain
But that his death may lead
This broken country down a righteous path
And may we sew many a seed

Of righteousness and love for all
And that we would hear the clarion call
To love that neighbor and that neighbor
Until we see the fruits of our labor

That God breathes into us all
The breath of life
And way above and beyond the strife
We all to Himself do call.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment