Friday, June 26, 2020

Mr. Burger, Relentless, Informed, Working for Justice #1


These are challenging days. We see and hear conflict left and right. For those of us who are justice-oriented, we struggle at times to know where to fit it. While Austin Channing Brown's book and videos stir me greatly, there is another person who has shaped what I think and feel about justice, the importance of its work, and especially about advocacy as a white person. So, over the next few days or weeks, I'd like to tell a few stories about a man we affectionately called "Burger," his last name. 

I first met Donald Wayne Burger in January, 2006 in Memphis, TN at a Black land loss summit. Burger, my wife, Charla, and I were the only white people in a rather large group of African American farmers, advocates, and academics. It looked like the who's who of the sports world were there:  Jabbar's daughter, Ali's daughter, and Frazier's daughter.  It was an intense setting. My first recollection was of him sitting up front of one of the sessions, camera on his tripod, filming the entire thing.  At one point, the speaker was extraordinarily angry and began to take her anger out on him. He seemed to take it, was not terribly upset by it, and continued from then on recording and asking questions or offering information as needed. 

He was dressed in his usual and customary overalls with his long beard, both of which gave him an air of distinction. I learned from him that weekend that we could be activists and advocates, allies, if you wish, and contribute to the Cause though we are not Black and have not farmed. He from the DOJ and me from the academy could have our places and play roles in fighting for justice for all people.  I also learned from him that at times folks may not understand our motives and that we have to listen more than we talk. Just as he was challenged, so was I challenged that weekend.  I was on a panel, giving my initial impressions of the things that I had learned on my recent sabbatical.  I was challenged left and right until Dr. Harold Wheeler, a physician and a farmer from Greenwood, Mississippi, stood up and said that what I was talking about was legit. I also learned from that conference that we have to earn our places in the world when we are white and those for whom we advocate are Black. 

We have to listen more than we talk.


No comments:

Post a Comment