Friday, June 19, 2020

Swimming in a Sea of Whiteness


Swimming in a sea of whiteness
And all that I can see
Far to the right and over to the left
Above and below me.

It is the air that I breathe
It is the ground beneath my feet
It tells me what to say
To everyone I meet.

It’s been with me
since I drew my first breath
And it’ll follow me
until my eyes close in death

It’s the way of the world
With my pigmentation
And it’s all a part of this world's
Woeful fragmentation

Yes, I was born poor
And had to claw my way out
But the color of my skin
Did not make me weep and shout

I live with my skin
Just as you do yours
Do I hide deep within
And hold on with clenched fists

The God we worship
Surely He must be white
His son we follow
White He must be, that’s right.

Did you ever believe that
The flannel graphs told the story
A savior and disciples with white skin
Just a part of our original sin

Forgive me Lord of my pride
As I stop and consider
What it might be on the other side
Of people from here and there

Who am I to get to decide
How things are defined
And the value of the maligned
Within the Holy we both abide.

He breathed into us
The breath of life
And that decides and stops the fuss
I know that makes you want to cuss.

Do your part
White people
Dispel those myths
And let's gather for a brand new start.

Bring about hope
A brighter tomorrow to see
When all of God’s children
Just got to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment